It is said that Saint-Lizier was founded in 72 front JC by Pompée which returned from Espagne.Cité des"Consorani" (from where drift the name of Couserans) and attached at the time Gallo-Roman to Cominges and Aquitaine, the city owes his name to the bishop Saint Glyceirus (VIème century) famous in all the area for his gifts of guérisseur.Saint-Lizier has two cathedrals: Our-injury of Sède, built in the current enclosure of the palate of the Bishops and the cathedral of Saint-Lizier built in XIe century in the heart of the city, on the tomb of the Saint. This building is regarded as the most beautiful Romance work of the department. 


The treasures of the cathedral

If the outside of the Saint-Lizier cathedral did not keep remarkable traces, the interior reveals fabulous frescos of XIème representing of the scenes of the childhood of Christ, Annonciation, Visitation, representation of Jerusalem Céleste..Une small room discovered in 1958 contains a sarcophagus and a tomb, burial of first évèques of Saint-Lizier.Le cloister, remarkable place of serenity and silence, was practically not modified since the Romance time. Its very beautiful stone capitals reveal, for certain, the mark of the Masters sculptors of the Sea-bream (Toulouse).Le treasures of the Bishops of Couserans, primarily made up of sticks of ivory engraved of money, of a bust reliquary of Saint-Lizier and of a whole of goldsmithery, is exposed in the sacristy which is next to the Cloister. 



The cultural inheritance and architectural 

Saint-Lizier was a stage on the way of Compostelle. A brotherhood of St Jacques was born in 1533 besides there. Today, of many walkers on the way of Saint-Jacob still stop in these places of art and history. In Hhotel-God, the hospital built in XVIème by the bishop Victor d' Ossun, an almost intact pharmacy still maintains the secrecy of the Vinegar of the Four Robbers still called Elixir of life which was supposed to protect from the great plagues. The Palate of the Bishops which dominates the city offers a single panoramic sight on the chain of the Pyrenees. Surrounded of gardens, it preserved vestiges of ramparts dating from the Gallo-Roman period. It shelters today the popular Museum of Art and the departmental Museum of contemporary art. Saint-Lizier accomodates also the summer one of the oldest festivals of and sacred music chamber music of the Midday-Pyrenees.